Thursday, June 14, 2012

Week One in the Bahamas

I expected some difference in culture when going to work with children who have developmental disabilities in the Bahamas but there is not even a professor who could have prepared me for what I experienced my first day at the Bahamas Association for the Physically Disabled. They do not take children with disabilities anywhere over here. It costs too much money to raise a child with a disability. And then think about the cost of education needed for Speech therapy, Occupational therapy, Physical therapy etc. The children here have a ST who is not from here who comes a couple times a week. The lack of PT is very sad. But they do not have the money or insurance we have in the US. It really gives you a perspective on the poverty level in America. Just wanted to share a little. I'll share more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment